Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks For Visiting


Please become a follower and comment on any post you like; you can follow by Twitter or subscribe by email.
Also, I have surveys from time to time so please check them out and please vote, it is greatly appreciated. TxDeerHun7r

November 19, 2012

1 Shot 2 Turkeys


Later that morning, I was calling back to five or six toms that were out of site, they were hung up and not moving to me so I decided to go to them.  I exited the blind and moved east down the sendaro towards the ruckus, calling periodically to vector in on their location.  Eventually I had to get down in the brush and crawl along the game trails.  I never saw them and they exited the property.  Just then, all hell broke loose as it sounded like a huge fight broke out as I have never heard anything like it in the woods!  Out of sight it lasted for a good five minutes and then just stopped.  I continued calling with my Jake call, but there were no responses.  Three minutes later I noticed several Jakes to the North heading uphill and winding back around to Gurra the property.  This time I started to get some responses off in the distance.
After five minutes I decided to make a move down the property line to the north, where I incidentally have a trailcam.  It’s about 70 yards down to that spot so I got up crept out into the opening and when I didn’t see anything down the draw, I stood up and that’s when three Jakes spotted me naked.  I was definitely a bust!  I kept my cool, froze in my tracks and they did the same - craning and straining.  I knew I had to get small, very small in a hurry or I was going to blow this stalk.  I managed to get small and back out of the open, I got back to my hide, which is an understatement, and reset moving the safety to the fire position.  I decided to give a few calls and listen. No response.  I tried once more, no response.  I leaned over to the left to start recording and get my pump back up on my knee when I looked up and there were the three Jakes just 21 feet away.  I was busted again and I wasn’t able to begin the camera recording!
This being only the third time I intentionally was in a position to take a turkey, this didn’t even come close to being “ill prepared;” this was a hilarious catastrophe.  By the time I was able to mentally process how deep I was in the stuff and the steps I needed to get a shot off in just a few seconds, more turkeys had arrived and the pressure was on – I was going to get my turkey, I would outsmart and out maneuver these tricky birds and triumph as a predator in the top of the food chain should!  Where it became hysterical was all the time I was trying to get into position, more and more turkeys kept showing up and pushing forward on the leader as if trying to see how many turkeys would fit in a phone booth!
I finally got my shotgun to my knee and pointed at the throng of turkeys trying to line up on the leader who was weaving and bobbing because he knew I was there, but stayed to try to figure me out.  The planets aligned, I had my shot, I squeezed the trigger and nothing happened!  Safety?  My trigger hand moved ever so slightly felt along the trigger housing for the safety; safety was off. ??  Finger back on trigger, lined up perfect shot again, squeezed trigger – nada!  Another safety check, in the “Fire” position!  ??  Totally baffled I continued to line up another shot.  What could be wrong?  What am I missing?  Then it hit me like “Homey D Clown,” the slide was not fully forward; it must have moved back battling the brush?  I knew what I had to do now, but also knew moving it forward would give off a metallic “click” and I had to be ready to shoot.  Now or never I waited again for the shot, 15-20 turkeys all piling up not wanting to cross some imaginary line on the path – CLICK – BAM!
Never before have I had so much confusion, torment and exhilaration on a hunt.  The whole encounter lasted 6-7 minutes, 15+ Jakes staring me down just 20 feet away and now I had two wild turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner, did I mention I only used one shell? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment